Friday, March 22, 2013

Insufficient disk space to continue indexing - Fixed by relocating Index to another drive

One day recently, on my personal Windows 7 Home computer, I began noticing that indexing of my Outlook Exchange box was incomplete.  I know that in those situations, I can go to Indexing Options in Control Panel, then Advanced and click to Rebuild the Index, but a strange problem occurred.  The Indexer showed an error I'd never seen before: "Insufficient disk space to continue indexing. Search results might not be complete".

This was even more strange considering I have a 2TB C drive with 1.8TB free!

I tried rebuilding the index, just to encounter the same error.  I edited the registry to force Windows Search to restart/rebuild itself, but had the same issue.

Finally after troubleshooting for what seemed like hours, I found craigp's thread outlining his success on this post entitled "Indexing "insufficient Disk Space Error"" here (about 4/5 down the page): http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/10310-indexing-insufficient-disk-space-error/

He had moved his Index Location to his D drive and that fixed it.

Not having another physical internal drive to point the Index to, I went ahead and partitioned my C Drive and created a 10GB L:\ Drive (I had a lot of drive letters already in use).  I created a folder called Windows Index in the root of that drive (you should make a folder in your new location for the Index to go).

I then went back to Indexing Options in Control Panel, then Advanced and clicked the Select New button to specify a new Index Location path and pointed it to L:\Windows Index.



The Index proceeded to rebuild, and is now working fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment